Despite ice being categorised as a food product, the cleanliness of a business’s ice machine is often neglected. This not only has the potential to cause serious food health and safety implications, but can also lead to malfunctioning of the ice machine itself.
In order to avoid this from happening, regular cleaning and sanitising should be carried out on the ice machine as part of its ongoing maintenance.
Keeping your commercial ice machine clean and maintained is vital for hygiene, ice quality, and equipment performance. Regular cleaning prevents the accumulation of dirt, mould, and bacteria, ensuring safe ice for consumption.
Below, All So Cool have five essential tips on how to properly clean and maintain your commercial ice machine, so that it stays clean, efficient, and produces the highest quality ice.
1 – Regular Cleaning
- Just like any other piece of equipment, regular cleaning is crucial for maintaining the optimal performance of your commercial ice machine. Start by unplugging the machine and emptying the ice storage bin. Use a mild, non-toxic cleaner and a soft cloth to wipe down the interior surfaces. Pay special attention to the evaporator plate, water distribution components, and the ice chute. Don’t forget to clean the exterior of the machine as well. Regular cleaning prevents the buildup of mineral deposits and bacteria, ensuring your ice remains fresh and hygienic.
2 – Descale the Machine
- Mineral deposits can accumulate over time, causing reduced ice production and compromising the quality of the ice. To prevent this, descaling is necessary. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to descale your machine properly. Typically, you’ll need to use a food-grade descaling solution and run it through the system. Regular descaling will help maintain optimal performance and extend the lifespan of your ice machine.
3 – Check the Water Filtration System
- Water quality is a crucial factor in producing clean and clear ice. Ensure that your commercial ice machine is equipped with an appropriate water filtration system. Regularly check and replace the filters as recommended by the manufacturer. A well-maintained filtration system helps remove impurities from the water, preventing the buildup of mineral deposits and improving the taste and appearance of your ice.
4 – Keep the Surrounding Area Clean
- Maintaining a clean environment around your ice machine is essential for its smooth operation. Regularly clean the area surrounding the machine, including the floor, countertops, and nearby equipment. Remove any debris or spills promptly to prevent them from entering the ice machine and affecting its performance. Additionally, ensure proper ventilation and airflow around the machine, as excessive heat can hinder its efficiency.
5 – Schedule Professional Maintenance
- While regular cleaning and maintenance can significantly extend the life of your ice machine, it’s also essential to schedule professional maintenance at least once a year. A qualified technician – such as our technicians at All So Cool – will perform a thorough inspection, clean hard-to-reach parts, and address any potential issues before they escalate. Professional maintenance helps ensure that your machine is running at its best, minimising downtime and maximising its lifespan.
By following these five tips, you can maintain the optimal performance and hygiene of your commercial ice machine.
For professional maintenance and servicing, All So Cool have over 15 years experience in servicing and maintaining ice machines within the commercial and hospitality industries. Our highly experienced technicians can operate on all brands of ice machines, delivering high quality workmanship on time and on budget.
Chat to All So Cool fridge mechanics Brisbane and Gold Coast on (07) 3422 0011 to discuss how we can help keep your business running cool. We are available 24/7.